Roundup®, initially created by the agro-industrial giant Monsanto®, is an herbicide weed killer that has now been classified as a human carcinogen by the World Health Organization (WHO). One of the main active ingredients inside Roundup® is glyphosate, which can lead to the development of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and other forms of cancer.
How The Roundup® Lawsuits Started
In the United States alone, thousands of Americans have now filed lawsuits against Monsanto®, alleging that their exposure to Roundup® led to the development of various cancers. Many consumers and advocacy groups now allege that Monsanto® has known about the link between Roundup® and various cancers for decades.
By 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer had classified glyphosate as a “probable human carcinogen”. Unfortunately, the toxic ingredients in Roundup® do not end with glyphosate. Many of the ingredients that make up Roundup are highly toxic themselves, and can even increase the toxicity of glyphosate.
Side Effects of Roundup® Exposure
Roundup® is a dangerous cocktail of chemicals and drugs that can pose significant harm to humans. Some of the most common side effects of Roundup® include:
- The development of non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Development of other cancers
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- And many more
Ever since the weedkiller first entered the market, Monsanto® has denied the link between cancer and Roundup®. However, many studies have now found evidence linking the main ingredient in Roundup®, glyphosate, to serious side effects.
Lawsuits Against Roundup®
Many consumers are actively exposed to Roundup®, whether at home or through work. Some of the most common individuals to suffer from the effects of Roundup® include:
- Agricultural and farm workers
To date, there have been multiple large settlements issued by Monsanto® (now owned by Bayer AG®, a German pharmaceutical giant). Some notable settlements include:
- $2 billion awarded in punitive damages in the Pilliod RoundUp lawsuit. The judge in the case stated that “in this case, there was clear and convincing evidence that Monsanto® made efforts to impede, discourage, or distort scientific inquiry and the resulting science”
- $300 million in damages awarded to Dewayne Johnson, a former school groundskeeper who had regularly been exposed to high levels of Roundup®.
- $20 million awarded to Edwin Hardeman for his extended exposure to Roundup®.
Monsanto® and Bayer AG®, the owners and manufacturers of Roundup® have long known the link between their product and chronic conditions such as non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. If you have suffered after exposure to Roundup®, we can help. Contact USA Consumer Network here today to learn more about how you may be entitled to compensation.